Saturday, May 19, 2007

Friday was a most interesting day. Being a photographer I get some amazing opportunities, and this day was no exception. Variety in my job usually happens over the course of a week or month. This time it happened all in one day.

First I was hired to photograph the visiting President of Liberia, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf while she visited Concordia University in Portland. President Sirleaf is an amazing woman. She is the first woman head-of-state in Africa, and the first black woman head-of-state in the world. A quick read of the recent history of Liberia will give you an idea of just how courageous this woman is.



From Concordia I moved on to Tigard to photograph a home for a realtor. This was an unusual home for a couple of reasons. First, it was built with steel, which made a lot of the curved architecture possible, including this double-helix staircase. Second, I rarely see a home that is built around a courtyard.

For my last challenge of the day, two high school sports events. First softball, which I had about 15 minutes to get a shot at, then I was off to shoot lacrosse for the first time - a truly interesting game for those who have never seen it played.